Friday, July 9, 2010

Faith

What would you do if someone came to you telling you they were from God and that you were going to have His child?

What would you do if this guy told you that somehow the Holy Spirit would impregnate you and you'd just have to carry and give birth to this "God-child" ?

Ok, obviously, I'm talking about Mary, but really let's look at this from a different angle-

Suppose that you were just engaged to someone and back then, it's not like you can just break that off and be all fine-they took it pretty darn seriously and also back then, you can't just go out and get yourself preggers without being married (much less engaged to be) without a first class ticket to get stoned to death. Yeah, this whole "having God's son" business was a lot more intense then we think when first reading the story.

So here's this girl, a young girl too, mind you that gets told that she is going to be having God's Son, she knows that her people will want to probably stone her to death and the guy she's supposed to marry will probably leave her and be one of the first in line for stoning. I mean, did we ever think of how much she could have been looking forward to getting married? She was probably way psyched for that life, settling down, nice house and such, this is her life and then suddenly it's all flipped upside down. And what does she do about it? Panic? Freak out? Run for a therapist? No...not at all.

Immediately after even hearing this news, (she's not even taking time to let it sink in or anything!) this is what she says-

"Behold the maidservant of the Lord! Let it be to me according to your word." -Luke 1:38

She calls herself a servant of the Lord and willingly accepts His will.

Amazing.

She then further goes on to visit her cousin Elizabeth and says this beautiful prayer.

"My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who hear Him From generation to generation He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He has put down the mighty from their thrones, and exalted the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, And the rich He has sent away empty. He has helped His servant Israel, In remembrance of His mercy, As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and to his seed forever." -Luke 1:47-55

I wish I could pray like that on a good day. There was a reason Mary was chosen, these prayers clearly seem to show what is was-her incredible faith. To trust God with something that's just insane-I mean she is told she is carrying the child of GOD and she will give birth to Him-think about it, if you had never heard this before it would sound way, way crazy! And lets not forget the punishment she is going to get from her people, think of how much someone is looked down on for getting pregnant out of high school nowadays-times that by like a lot. In case you didn't know-stoning is not a very glamorous way to die.
And then go read that prayer again.

In the story of when Jesus healed a mans son who had a demon the man brought his son to Jesus and asked Him to heal the boy and Jesus said "If you can believe, all thins are possible to him who believes." and then the man said "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" -From Mark 9:17-24
I feel like that guy, the part about help my unbelief- if faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains, then I don't have much, but I have enough to ask for more. So God, please do help my unbelief, you say ask and you will receive and seek and you will find-so I ask for faith.

No comments: